Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Early November

This morning, the temperature was -2. Thank goodness I bought myself the thickest jacket I could find in Buchanan Gallery during the weekend.  Was quite lucky wandering around before the Glasgow firework show, which to be honest wasn’t even close to the ones in JB during CNY. The 25% sale did help, and at 30 pounds, seemed really like a steal. Wore it today, and it was really warm.
Had Indian buffet lunch with a few Cheveners. They are from all over: Brazil, Panama, Indonesia, Ukraine, Mexico, Uzbekistan, Hong Kong… I didn’t feel hungry until past dinner time! The Indian curry at Masala Twist on Byres Road was really good. I couldn’t have eaten more.
The thing about Chevening is, you get opportunities to meet people and joining events.
On the 21st, I will be visiting BAE Systems’ factory in Preston, since I am partially sponsored by them. It’s really cool to have industrial visit.
The following week, I will visit the Parliament House in Edinburgh! And I am contemplating hitting it on the go, maybe by visiting St Andrews and Dundee one shot. I became a little excited and started doing some research, or basically giving me an excuse to not write my essay today.
A break?
Datelines of assignments are coming up. I should be on track for submission though. I am happy with my stint so far. Been actively trying to participate in events and activities, e.g. being class rep., AACSB accreditation volunteer, and a few roles that was rejected. More to come though.

I spent 2 consecutively eventful weekends in London: 15 and 22 October.
I have started my role as Vice Chair of YPCC. To be honest, there’re some pressure to deliver. But we have a fantastic team. I will cherish these years in the future. I’ve known people like C, S, I for more than 3 years, and it’s amazing to be able to work side by side.

Hard at work at Pullman King's Cross
I realized that to volunteer, is actually something really powerful.
The following weekend, I didn't have the luxury of BA. Took Ryan Air, which was fine with me. It was only £10 from Glasgow to London!

AirAsia of Europe
I had quite a challenging day. I was pretty much stressed out and tired when I arrived in London. I had stopped working part time the previous week. It was clear I couldn't manage the travels and assignments. The AirBnb in East London had a faulty heater, and I had my 'nightmarish' fatigue headache, my biggest enemy physically. Normally, I'd give up and go for panadol. But being alone, and in the middle of no where, I slept thru the night, or tried sleeping. I did fine actually, and woke up rather refreshed.

When the going gets tough, I become tougher, by having a good breakfast
Like what Bear Grylls always say, you have to be motivated and positive. It was Chevening Orientation Day, a day where 1800 Cheveners around the world would meet in London! I think I was in adrenaline mode.
It's like, the day that proved I really achieved something notably in life.
Without Chevening, there was no way I could study in the UK. I'd still be a maintenance engineer in Singapore. And I shall return to Malaysia to serve my 2-year term.

Malaysia had 40 Cheveners for 2016/17

After the event, we had a pleasant dinner at Rasa Sayang in Leicester Square with the Malaysian Cheveners. Authentic Malaysian food were on the menu.

And it was one of the best
Returning from London, I made sure I strategised my essays.

And find time to join events.

Still managed to join my first Halloween Ball at the Business School
And tried some Malaysia food on Byres Road for lunch
The more friends you have, the more food you try

Occasionally, we'll cook some Malaysian cuisine- Curry chicken, Bakut teh...

Tasted really good
I think food is something really subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison. I am happy that when it comes to food, I am really simple, and I could eat anything under the sky. Makes life really easier.

Anyway, winter is here. Walking back from St. Andrew's Building back to Winton Drive after Fench lessons every Thursdays at 9.15pm isn't something cool, so is walking home after gym. But besides the distance, I feel really comfortable here.

Is it even possible if I travel to the north during winter
Apparently, things happen for a reason
Bonefire night Glasgow

2 comments:

PiNgYeW ^^ said...

It is good to see this place well maintain, take care buddy!

Weeser said...

Haha! Thanks bro. All the best to you too.