Sunday, October 2, 2016

Back to work

Back to work
Yesterday was a fun-filled day. Attended a musical-talk on James Maxwell, a famous scientist from Edinburgh about 120 years ago.
Before that, we had Chinese dinner at BJBS, and seeing the waiters speaking Cantonese, I asked whether there’s vacancy at the shop. Last night itself, I received a call to go work at 1pm the next day.
Pretty instant?
I later found out that I was chosen by lady-boss over other aspiring students. I suppose, if you are a good worker, people could feel it? I am glad that I am sincere and polite as a human.

It wasn’t the glamorous work as a Chinese-English interpreter for the China-British Business Council, which directly went into my LinkedIn profile.
The pay was as low as it could, and I worked for a mere 2 hours. The last time I worked as a waiter was after SPM. It was RM 3/hour, and it was like 11 years ago.
I recalled a few skills, and had a few glitches here and there. Since the shop mostly serves Chinese students, who are basically not-too-picky, everything was fine. The real challenge were 2 French speaking folks. You had to know when to call the mains up.
At the shop, I met Allen, who was really kind and helpful. He basically taught me quite a few skills, within the 2 hours of work. He stuffed me with food after work, which included a bowl of seaweed soup. He also got me another pack of takeaway. I hadn’t had this much of Chinese food since arriving in Glasgow. Meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, veges, 木耳, 玻璃生菜

I micro-waved the takeaway for dinner. It was the first time I ate something really Chinese, without hassle, with folk and spoon. It felt like home. I couldn’t finish the rice. It’ll be fried tomorrow. Need to thank Allen for being really kind to me.

I suddenly thought of the migrants of yesteryears, where hot food and rice were a luxury. Maybe my grandma’s generation? In fact, meat wasn’t a norm on the table during my parent’s time. They all had to fight and work really hard. Every penny was to be saved for better used. It’s how migrants survived, and succeed.

The spirit to move out of poverty drove people beyond their shores, away from home (in this sense mainland China?) and promising themselves a better future for their families.
While I am not a migrant, and I am financially sound (luckily I didn't chose London), a taste of eating hot rice in a foreign land sets a timely reminder of the hardships of life faced by others. In fact, I don’t even need to work. I work for the skills and insights of running businesses. Maybe for my Operations Management module?
I am a fortunate guy.

I should make sure I pass my studies convincingly.

Interesting times ahead
PS: My application to be a tele-fundraiser with the Uni didn't go thru. 300 applicants, and I was the 90 that was shortlisted for the group interview. I missed the cut of 40 for the job. I actually thought I did ok during the interview. The standards are really high here. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

0 comments: