Thursday, September 22, 2016

Managing Change

As an engineer for the past decade, I had worked under numerous bosses.
They always say that good managers surround themselves with people smarter and better than them. But is this the reality? Do managers teach and share all they have with their subordinates? What about keeping their position and competitive edge against their peers.
In my short career in the field. I have met ultra-defensive folks who don’t even want to reply emails, in fear of becoming proof of record.
Today’s class of Managing Change was eventful. I caught Prof. Robbie after the lecture, and learned some great insights from me:
-          A manager should teach and share, and build a good team. If you have 2 engineers, the less skilled one will most probably be promoted, as no one wants to let your best engineer go. The solution, if you are caught in this position, is to LEAVE. (I couldn’t believe this term at first)
-          There are 2 ways around maintain your position as a manager. The first is to be really self-centered, sacrifice development of your guys, and keep all your knowledge. The second way around, is to employ people with skills you lack, as to complement your team. You all can grow together.
Change, is to create value.
What if you are a young engineer, being freezed out, and finding it hard to progress? The key is to identify the weak links and required skills in the organization, and develop it, so you could play a more prominent role. If you work in a power station, your basic job description is engineering, and you are rightly paid to do so. Being more resilient and hard working will not earn you an advancement, because that is what you are ’expected’ to do.
I think the professor just solved a puzzle in my head!

Became an interpreter for China-Britain Business Council's (CBBC) SME Forum yesterday at Celtic Park. It was a nice experience translating between Chinese and English, but challenging, especially on technical terms. Luckily, my past work experience did use quite some technical Chinese.

I think I made the right decision to venture out into the unknown

Ps: Before even starting revision, I am busy refining my CV and Cover Letter, in search for an internship in the UK next summer. And it's really not easy competing with the rest out there.

0 comments: