Monday, August 1, 2016

1st August

Pulled myself to Choa Chu Kang Park for another 6-round run, this time, achieving the run time of 30 minutes. I am slowly regaining my stamina. Today's traffic was good, and I reached CCK by 6.15pm.

~~~

It’s August, and I could barely believe how fast time slips away.

After having no news after signing the Acceptance Letter 3 weeks back, finally, a courtesy email from London. Now, to wait for the phone call.

I refused to be anxious, or concerned, because I think I’ve got a swift Plan B in hand.

And guess what, TWS has over-consumed his Annual Leave, of 3.5 days. You can't blame me for giving me 16 days per year, and pro-rate it to 8 months? Though a day may potentially cost up to $225, but I have no regrets on all the leaves I took, especially 8.5 days to Europe with the old folks.

A price that I could afford, anytime.

Of course, I am canceling 1 day on the 8th, and I’ve taken 1 on the 26th for Sydney.

~~~

Work has been great, and I finally achieve some recognition for 400kV Switch House Protection Relay tests. 

Thank you Omicron CMC356, or who ever invented you

I understand the protection schemes better now, after many many circuits:
-          Breaker Fail: A timer starts (90ms), and a 2nd timer starts again (170ms), and if the breaker still does not trip, it’ll send a signal to trip the busbar, which is extremely dangerous. Current pick-up relay is used.
-          Stub Protection Main 1 and 2: For 1.5 breaker system. Stub is a high impedance protection, and sets via voltage. It is to protect the line between Breaker A and B
-          Longitudinal Current Differential: Differential protection till the end of the line, with biasing.
-          Distance (ABB REL 316 and 561 for Main 1 and 2): This was a myth to me, but to witness and participate in the tests, the self-satisfaction was indescribable. For example, we tested the transmission line between Tuas and Ayer Rajah. The zones are 1, 2, 3 and reverse zone. The cable length, total impedance of the line, and thus the protection zone curve can be plotted. Each zones have a limit impedance, with a respective trip time. Using the Omicron CMC356, we could inject an impedance to test for the protection zones, tripping time.
-          Shunt reactor Overcurrent, High Impedance Differential, and Biased Differential: Only now, that I understand shunt reactor looks exactly like a transformer, but with 1 winding. It is normally turned out only at night, and absorbs reactive power from the grid.
-          OCEF: The usual suspects for protection
-          Restricted earth fault: For generators.

I also understand that standby protection will not cause Lock-out.

I am fortunate to learn from Mr. TBH and his team.

Meanwhile, Alstom GT26  is really quite a machine. My minimal experience with GT13E2 back at KLPP assisted me adapting on to GT26, but it was really interesting. I am lucky to learn about the SSD and SES system by ABB, and also the Station and Unit Board schemes.

I think I became a better electrical engineer.

With Toshiba 400kV GIS
Anyway, Internal Combustion Engine will still remain part of me
~~~

Meanwhile, the Causeway nowadays is just untenable. 

Walking between 2 countries

0 comments: