Saturday, June 12, 2010

Redang Turtle Advanture (Part I)

21st May 2010:

I left for KLIA at 2.50pm. A good friend - Chan Yee was really kind to give me a lift out from Uniten.

I was in Kuala Terengganu (KT) 45 minutes later. I flew MAS for RM 150.00 2-way.

This was an all together different trip. Initially, I had 3 other friends coming along, and with another 4 volunteers, form the “volunteer team” – Slot H, of 8 people.

But, at the end, I was alone on the flight to KT, as there rest had started working and had more important matters to attend. (Which means I am lucky to start work only on 1st of June)

To be honest, it’s the first time I travelled alone; checked-in alone, boarded a plane alone... Nevertheless, I was prepared to meet new people and learn new stuffs. I never doubted the benefits and “goodness” of this trip.

I took a taxi from the airport to KT town (RM 25.00 per trip).


The landmark mosque outside my hotel which I used as a "directory" in KT

I had (luckily) booked for a room at Ping Anchorage that morning, the cheapest backpacker hostel I can find in KT for RM 38.00 per night. Well, I had the “luxury” sleeping alone in a room for 3.

My first impression stepping into Ping Anchorage was “OMG, what a back-packers hotel!” I could hardly believe my eyes! They even had Malaysian Airlines air-stewardess to welcome me…

Malaysian Hospitality (MH) cardboards?

No wonder all the rooms were sold out, leaving out a few impromptu-check-in Europeans cursing their luck.

But, my awe diminished soon after I saw the room.

1 of the 9 VIP rooms?

No wonder it’s the cheapest hostel in KT. But it was just fine for me.

The first thing I did was to sleep under maximum fan speed in a hot afternoon.

I woke up at around 7pm, and set off exploring KT after calling a few local friends in Thomas and Malcohm (who were all not in town) for some directions. Thank god I came here once few months back.

I had dinner at a local Malay stall by the main road. I also went to Dataran Syahbandar.

Quite a famous place I guess

Batu Bersurat - "Letter-stone"

To my surprise, Euro Fun Park was at Dataran Syahbandar.

Entrance

Round and round and round

Euro Wheel

I thought I walk quite far really.

My grandpa walks. My dad walks. Thus, I walk too.

Walking is still one of the easiest things I’ve ever done.

I went back to the hostel at around 9pm, charged my camera, handphones and went to bed.

~~~

For me, a solo travel sucks. No matter how experience and how good a traveller you are. I really prefer to have a companion (suitable ones of course).

Frankly speaking, I occasionally feel a little sober walking alone, snapping photos alone, doing things alone...

Maybe I am not a loner, and for all my life, been living in groups and "gangs" of fantastic friends.

I slept really early that night. Maybe the loneliness was a little hard to bear. I can’t wait to meet the other volunteers at the jetty the next morning, 10.30am.


To be continued...

0 comments: