Tuesday, May 18, 2010

2nd Island in a Month

Practically, I have only 1 more holiday (and good life) left.

I am driving up KL alone Thursday morning.

I'll settle the stuffs in my rented house at Minlon, shift everything out to my aunt's house at Balakong.

On Friday I'll fly MAS in the afternoon to Kuala Terengganu. I've yet to find out where to spend Thursday night. It's all up to my friends (who are all not in town) and my "backpacker instinct" to survive the day.

At 9am sharp Saturday morning, I've to be at Turtle House in UMT (University Malaysia Terengganu).

I am off to a one week sea turtle volunteer scheme in a remote (and communication-less) island call Cagar Hutang, which is a turtle nesting hot-spot, near Redang Island, organized by the Sea Turtle Research Unit of UMT. Check out http://seatru.wordpress.com/activities/volunteer-program/

My jobs, along with 7 other volunteers every week, would be to record the number of turtles, count turtle eggs, count turtle eggs hatched, night patrols, doing unlimited snorkeling in crystal clear blue sea looking at amazing the untouched and pure marine life (Ooopss, that's my past time anyway) and etc.

Not bad considering the fact I just came back from Phuket Island. Many people including my sis have told me I looked like a laborer coming back from Phuket. And after I come back from Redang (1 week there), what'll I look like??? Alien?

Jokes aside... I don't mind really. It's for a good cause.

I registered this program with 3 other friends, and I ended up going alone... My friends' places were replaced by others, as many of my friends have either started working or have urgent matters on hand.

I'll fly back in KL on Saturday night.

After 2 more days, I'll start my working life, for god knows how many years...

30? 35?

Well, I don't know what to say really. After spending 2 weeks at home doing nothing, I really feel the comfort and cosy-ness...

How I wish I can work somewhere in JB or Singapore, and to be able to stay at home helping out with the daily chores. Though I like traveling all over the place very much, I really miss staying at home at times. And I definitely will in time to come.

But a deal was structured even before I knew anything about electrical engineering. This deal gave me and my family a better life. I am ready to honour it.

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions", quoted from the movie Robin Hood I watched with Liang and Kai Yuan just now.

I WILL BE OUT OF CONTACT FROM 22-29.5.2010. YOU GUYS CAN SMS ME AND I'LL REPLY WHEN I FIND TELCO SIGNALS NEAR REDANG ISLAND, OR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Ps1: The fees for volunteer program is Rm300.00 (everything in). My 2-way flight from KL to KT is Rm150.00 (booked in April). I allocated another Rm100.00 for airport transfer, lodging when I reach KT, some additional food-stuffs... So the whole 1 week trip costs around Rm550.00, which I think, is quite reasonable.

Ps2: Sony A330 will make it's debut in Redang. Wait for my pictures!

Good night~

0 comments: