Monday, February 16, 2009

Another online con-job...

This is basically what my ex-boss typed after finding out what really happened:


-----
Dear Rocky,

I received this email supposedly from you. As per telephone conversation, this is a scam as your other email had been hijacked last week. I almost went to down to the bank to send the money to you but I thought I better check with you by phone first.

So for the rest who received this email, be careful.

My Ex-boss
-----

Ooo... sounds bad right? Now look at the email that was sent to him:

-----
From: Rocky ###
Date: Feb 16, 2009 3:45 AM
Subject: I NEED YOUR URGENT HELP.
To: ###@hotmail.com


I am in hurry writing you this short message and I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to China for a program called "Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education. The program is taking place in three major countries in Asia, which are Taiwan, Singapore and China. It has been a very sad and bad moment for me, the present condition that i found myself is very hard for me to explain. I am really hook down in China because I forgot my little bag in the Taxi where my money, passport, documents, cell phone which i have all my contacts and other valuable things were kept on my way to the Hotel i lodge, I am facing a hard time here because i have no money on me. I am now owing a hotel bill of $1,400 and they want me to pay the bill soon else they will get the Hotel Management aware and am having problem communicating with them because they could not speak English, I need this help from you urgently to get me back home, I need you to help me with the hotel bill and i will also need $1,500 to feed and help myself back home. Kindly please you help me with a sum of $2,900 USD to sort out my problems here. I am sending you this email from the city Library, I will appreciate whatever you can afford to send me for now and I promise to pay back your money as soon as i return home. So please use the details of one of the hotel managers below to send the money to me through Western Union money transfer because that is the only way i could be able to get it fast and leave since he has a valid ID to pick up the money for me from the western union.

These are the details below....

Last Name: Appiah
First Name: Evenary
Address: #75 Hua Yang Street, Ti Yu Road E., Tianhe District, Guangzhou, China, 510620
Text Question: To whom
Answer: Rocky .

Once you have send the money, email to me the western union money transfer control number or you can attach and forward to me the western union money transfer receipt so that i can pick up the money fast and leave. Right now, i dont have any acess to phone because the phone in my hotel room has been disconnected due to my debt, i only have acess to the computer at the library where am sending you this email right now.

Hope to hear from you soon. The embassy here has already promised to give me a covering traveling papers that i will need to have my way back home, all i need right now is the money to settle up the bills and leave.

Thanks and get back to me soon.

Best Regards,
Rocky ###.
-----

SO I guess my boss almost got around RM 9,000 (USD 2900) poorer! Luckily he was still calm enough to cross check with the friend...

It seems this conman is quite highly educated, and has perfect english! Maybe he somehow know that my boss wouldn't hesitate to send money to friends that need help!

A kind reminder to all my friends to be extra careful with everything (including those which are suspicious), especially in this time round of the year!


0 comments: