Sunday, March 30, 2008

Grand-pa and Grand-ma Day

I will start with a very famous poem by a very famous poet of our race:

清明时节雨纷纷,

路上行人欲断魂。

借问酒家何处有,

牧童遥指杏花村。

However, it was a really hot morning.. No flower village or wine though...

Came back from "Qing Ming" (graveyard visiting day…) in Melaka yesterday. I left uni at around 7.15am and reached back around 2pm following my cousin. It was a tiring morning! Dad and my brother came up to Melaka from JB even earlier at 6.30pm. There was no way my dad would not visit his parents...


But nevertheless, I'm really happy to see my grandpa and grandma again, esp. my grandma... She loved me very much when i was small last time... Somehow i'd receive a big ang pow from her every chinese new year (which my siblings don’t). I'd always run behind her (to seek refuge la!) when my dad gets angry and wanna whack me with the cane!!!

The chinese cemetery in Ayeh Keroh, Melaka

As for my grandpa, i had never seen him, but according to my cousins, he was stricter than my dad, which i can imagine that... But he treated his grand-children well. Those generation of people made sure everything MUST be right, having a no nonsense demeanor. They made sure that all the young ones follow the rules and being educated with the essentials and our cultures remembered and preserved. From what I know, grandpa came to then Malaya with his brothers to do business and send money back to Fu Jian for my grandma and family. After that, grandma only brought my dad (5 at that time) here and settled in Malaysia. The legacy of doing business in my family has so far sucessfuly passed on to my cousins... I wonder when will i get to master it...

Nevertheless, around 13 (the rest were busy) of us went there to clear the 2 graves, and deep in my heart i thought both of them would be happy to see all of us getting on well!!!

Grandpa has been staying here for 30 years...

30 years is quite a long time, but my family (esp. my uncle and my dad, with my cousins) wouldn't missed the occasion no matter what. I believe it is the respect and self-taken-responsibility within them that made sure they grandpa' s not forgotten.

Hey, I made a point to wake up and join the crowd in the midst of finals too!

Grandpa would be really proud that all of us (4th generation already), as we can live proudly and righteously.....

Also from Hokkien is my beloved grandma...

How i wish i can bring grandma out for tea or around the place. (She left before i could drive.... 5 years ago).

What i can remember is that my parents always treated her very well. Dad gives her red packets when new year comes... Her ang pow were always RM 2 for all of us (she had 13 grandchildren, 24 great-grand-children... still increasing la). She occasionally comes to my house for stays but she prefers Melaka, where her friends mostly are staying. She loved chinese tea and the combo of coffee + cream cracker (soda biscuit). She always combs my hair after my baths (of course it's the old-fashion side parking style which my grandpa uses to have). She kept reminding me to go study in UM and grad from there, same as my successful cousin - Wee Kee (whose daugther gets to go to Disney Land at 3)... Well i couldn't quite make the grade but i'll try my best in Uniten...

I still can remember when i was in form 3. News received that grandma was really weak. Dad went back straight to Melaka, while we had school. My cousin Wee Hao came to fetch the rest of us that weekend. We thought we were late. My cousin sisters and my aunt had rush to "settle" the stuffs before we reached. Everybody thought grandma had left... But when we reached, she somehow started breathing heavily away... I was in front of her, and by her side when she left... My cousin sister Wee Xiong said she waited for the rest of us to arrive before she left...

I will always remember her... I was beside her when she left us... She made sure of that...

It means a lot to me, that i come from a big family that will always respect and up-hold our traditions and customs. Chinese culture has been around for 6000 years and, and it is flowing in our blood thru our veins and arteries, we are responsible to preserve it. It is what we are! We are the descendants of one of the world's great civilization.

This makes me really proud to be who i am, and part of such a family!

We’d always remember our humble beginnings (grandpa’s and dad’s generation) where hardship = life. Getting to eat rice were a delicacy for them. Sheer hard work had brought us far, but i am determined to strive further!

Ps 1: Do go to any online translater to understand the poem and translate the poem above. It's really meaningful. Although the intrinsic meaning is understood by those who learnt it during school days. Ask around la...

Ps 2: To those (including myself) who still have papers coming up, good luck and study hard!!! And for those who've finish the finals, enjoys what life gives you!

Take care friends.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

аэроэлектронные сигареты - сигареты муратти